This is not an official blog of the City. It is the work of Mark Kapel who is solely responsible for content.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Brave New World.

Welcome readers of the Oakland Press. I am proud to say this  outstanding collection of on line blogs now includes the City of Bloomfield Hills. By way of introduction, it never occurred to me to write a blog. I always thought blogs were "not ready for prime time" boring things that nobody, especially friends, neighbors, or relatives wanted to read. Around Valentines day, I read somewhere that , "I'm going to put this conversation in my blog," was the on the top ten list of worst things you could tell a spouse, a lover, or for that matter anyone.

Sill two acres available  on Pembroke
Epping Lane
I wanted to do something positive. Maybe something for my community .The "crazy" character  in Thomas Wolfe's famous short story,  Only The Dead Know Brooklyn  who attempts to "learn  Brooklyn" by wandering around with a map, came to mind. Like him I had "learned the City of Bloomfield Hills" by reading a map, walking the the dog in new neighborhoods and passing out handbills at election time. I was delighted to discover that my walks  corresponded nicely with my wife's passion for real estate in the city. They also put aside all unpleasantness about leaves not being raked or storm windows not being applied. I'd plan my strategy on the walk and burst indoors  and announce, "two acres for sale on Pembroke!" My wife would say those two acres had always been for sale. So I'd say, "yes but what about Epping Lane," with the thrill of somebody beginning to master a foreign language. "Epping Lane..." she'd say slowly, considering, before speaking. "Epping Lane," she would say beginning  a twenty minute discourse on the pros and cons of living on Epping  Lane with such attention paid to the most excruciating  details that I wondered how I could have possibly passed muster some twenty odd years ago. "Epping Lane. " I'd say in awe of it all.

When it came to writing something, my wife wasn't so sure. For one it wouldn't entertain the dog.
I wasn't a city official nor did I have master's degree in Urban Planning. What would I write about ?  I didn't  exactly know but when all else failed I could aways tell jokes.

What's the Catch ?
When I first heard about the various Community Media Programs available at the Oakland Press, I thought they must be joking or there had to be catch. Maybe they needed bodies to attend time share vacation  presentations. Maybe there  would be a charge for the expertise and service they would provide. Maybe you have to sign a ten page disclaimer which said that in the event of a dispute you would forfeit everything including all  rights and incur other penalties to  determined by a court of law in an as yet to be named  off shore island empire.

 A complementary blog writing workshop
There was none of that at The Oakland Press workshop, I attended on Thursday May 19th. I learned that software I need to produce my Blog (Google Blogger or Word Press) was available on line for free and it wouldn't clutter up my computer. It exists in cyberspace and I can access it from any computer. The only fly in the ointment was me. In my eagerness I had somehow managed to misspell "Bloomfield". I am no  good  at "i" before "e". So the Oakland Press utilizing what,  I incorrectly assumed would
 be army surplus Mir space stations was  initially unable fetch my blog floating into the far reaches of the cyber universe

While we waited  for the eventual space roundez vous and docking procedure to occur, my wife ventured, "maybe they don't like your blog. I mean you are not writing about Botanical tours at Cranbrook are you ?" I admitted I wasn't. If  I was, my lack of any sort of degree in Botany wouldn't have prevented her from telling everyone that I  had suddenly taken it upon myself to go "legit" and write about plant and flower tours that sounded wonderful.

On Friday June 25th the City of Bloomfield Hills  blog  debuted  on line at the Oakland Press . I would like to thank Glenn  Gilbert, the executive  editor of the Oakland Press, who's forward thinking makes this  newspaper a true community resource.  If you would like to get involved by writing a blog or otherwise report  on your community or another area of passionate interest, look at the last entry in the "blog" drop down menu. It's listed as Community Media Programs and starts with a movie with explains more less everything  and includes comments from current bloggers. For further information you may call or E mail Glenn Gilbert. If you call, like I did,  be advised that the people at the Oakland Press answer the phone, live and in person. No voice  mail.... press "one" for more information, or being told that your call is very important but.... So prepare. The person you want to talk to may be picking up on the second ring.

I  would also like to thank  Paul Kampe  who covers the Oakland  University Grizzlies for the Oakland Press and writes the Grizzly Den Blog listed under  Sports Blogs. He helped me with design and mechanics of laying out my blog.  That brings us to Stephen Frye the online editor for the www.theoaklandpress.com which is where you find this blog. He also writes a blog. Frye on News, which appears in news section of the blog drop down menu. The encouragement and support these two individuals was  most appreciated.


Last but not least, I would like thank all our readers in advance for any comments  they many have.

No comments: