This is not an official blog of the City. It is the work of Mark Kapel who is solely responsible for content.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

St. Hugo's Rummage Sale Starts Tonight


If you have been donating items you know that 20 departments is no joke. Christmas even has it's own department. Get there early and you might even get the Old English themed Christmas punch bowl I retrofitted with a Frosty the the Snowman insert. I would imagine it is going for under a $1. The insert is however removable. I demonstrated it before donating it.  The lady taking incoming  thought it quite clever but I noticed upon surrendering the item  that the insert was not returned to the bowl. Maybe it will turn up elsewhere for five cents.
I  should say that in donating I also received . Somebody (I will guess St. Francis)  says so in a more articulate form.  
On a regular basis the Catholic Book Store visits the parish we are attending. Since depending on the convenience of the Mass schedule we visit more than one Parish,  we run into the Catholic Book Store frequently . That I believe has something to do with the laws of  probability. Anyway there is a coffee table book, I have noticed on more than one occasion. It has a dramatic cover and and is titled Make Straight The Path, a 300 year Pilgrimage of The  Archdiocese of Detroit.  My guess was $30 but I never asked. When I saw one at the rummage sale I asked but I was honest about it. Flipping open the cover I discovered a picture of Msgr.Tocco  the Pastor at St.Hugo's who had married us in almost a quarter of a century ago. In fact he signed the book. My revelation of that fact which would probably up the price significantly got me sent to the head book lady.
She was no more blown away than the Christmas Lady was with the Punch Bowl insert. I suppose if you work enough rummage sales you've seen it all. "Two dollars," she said."Years ago those books were given  to every family in  the Parish. Now they are coming back for the rummage sale" she added with a disapproving  cluck of the tongue. They had no change so I went to Dunkin Donuts for a "good cause" Double Chocolate donut that produced change.When I got back to St. Hugo's the Book Lady said that while I was gone the book had gone down in price to $1. I thanked her profusely  and promised to tell everyone about The St. Hugo's rummage sale.

I started with my wife who was a little taken aback that I had actually bought something  when the object was to divest. The $1 expenditure only eleven cents more than the donut (which I didn't mention) passed muster. She didn't care about the Frosty the Snowman punch bowl but she did appreciate the fact that the Linen Lady liked her linens. "Well yeah, " she said "Some of that stuff hasn't even been unwrapped." 

On page 38 of my new  book purchase  I found a Holy Cross Hungarian Parish. I figured it had to be something that closed years ago but I went on line and found them. There was even a phone number. I called and got an answering machine which answered in English. Naturally I was thrilled. This Spring I had just completed my first course in Hungarian at  Birmingham Community Adult Education. It was also the only Hungarian course I managed to finish . Usually I get booted for linguistic ineptitude.Only 14 million people speak Hungarian and most of them live in or around Hungary. As a result Hungarians aren't used  to hearing their language spoken badly. Maybe it helped that this time my instructor was Russian. In Hungarian I am  a whiz at picking out words however.

Beke Es Minden  was easy. Peace and Always. No problem there. Aldas I didn't know but I'll take their word for "good " At any rate now I can  further my knowledge of Hungarian and actually find addition uses for it in the Motor City. Something my wife said would never happen. Then it hit me. The phrase is "It is in giving that we receive." That my not be it exactly but  I am getting closer.

If you visit the St. Hugo's Rummage sale you will certainly receive. The giving part you can provide later in any manner that suits your purpose. The Big Guy is pretty good about that sort of thing. 
The fun starts at 6pm.See you there !

No comments: